Chess for Social Skills is an alternative approach to current social-skills-for-children programmes and can be delivered in a whole-class or small group setting. The structured nature of chess-playing provides excellent scaffolding for all students who find social skills difficult to master as they play each other one on one before moving to another partner.
As well as learning how to play the famous game through a fun, hands-on approach the programme of lessons also challenges students to develop their concepts of respect, accepting defeat, forward planning, accepting compliments and giving feedback, teamwork, decision-making, patience, resilience and developing a growth mind-set when exploring a new skill.
Teachers will have the opportunity to learn how to play chess by playing chess mini-games against other novice teachers.
The course will teach all participants how to
• play chess (from zero prior knowledge) and the best methods of teaching primary school children as young as first class the rules using a fun, games-based approach
• utilise chess as an additional resource in teaching social skills in the mainstream and special education classrooms
• organise a school chess club, school chess team and in-school chess competitions.
Testimonials from previous chess summer course participants include:
• “I was surprised how much fun it was and I had never played chess before!”
• “Game of chess broken down into simplified steps.”
• “It is a super resource for teaching problem solving and enhancing critical thinking.”
• “Chess demystified!”
• “Part of school self-evaluation steps for problem-solving.”
• “It’s considered a ‘game for intellectuals’ but really its a level-playing field for all students to interact socially”.
This summer course has been hosted through eight education centres around Ireland since 2016 and always receives the highest standard of feedback. It attracts both principals and experienced teachers looking for something new and easy to implement in their schools with many claiming it to be "the best summer course I've ever completed". Newly qualified teachers also find the course an excellent addition to their CV. Chess is a growing initiative
This is an Online Course via Zoom
Thursday, Friday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 1st to 7th July 9.30am to 2.00pm
Course eligible for EPV days.
Please note the following:
Course Fees are not transferrable to another teacher.
The course is offered via Zoom and you must use the email address provided at the time of booking to attend.
Unfortunately, if you wish to cancel your place on one of our courses or you are unable to attend the course after places have been confirmed, we are not in a position to refund fees.
In the event that the minimum number of participants required do not apply then the Centre will be obliged to cancel the course and all monies will be refunded in full.
Please only register for our online courses if you have an internet download speed greater than 6MB. Speed test your internet prior to registering. If you lose your internet connection during the online course this doesn’t warrant a refund. Do not share your join link as you will be unable to join if you do so
|Course Date||01-07-2021 9:30 am|
|Event End Date||07-07-2021 2:00 pm|
|Registration Start Date||06-05-2021|
|Cut off date||16-06-2021 5:00 pm|